Offering “Sri Guru-Vandana” to Srila Prabhupada

On February 13, 1995, Srila Gour Govinda Swami offers the book “Sri Guru Vandana” at the lotus feet of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada at the ISKCON Krishna-Balarama Mandir in Bhubaneswar, India.

8 Responses to Offering “Sri Guru-Vandana” to Srila Prabhupada

1. Goloka Vrndavana Dasa May 10, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

CRY, CRY and CRY for the Mercy of Guru!!!

“The sisya or sadhaka should always cry for guru-kripa, the causeless mercy of the guru. Unless you cry for it, you cannot get it. Nobody can get that mercy without crying. For example, when the child cries, the mother runs, thinking, “Oh, my child is crying.” The child cannot be pacified by anything without the mother’s presence. Because she is engaged in performing household duties the mother may give the child a toy or a doll to play with, but the child will throw down that toy or doll and cry and cry. So unless you cry, how can you get that mercy? This crying is required— karuna na hoile, kandiya kandiya, prana na rakhibo ara. Therefore we sing this song. We must cry and cry for the mercy of guru. Unless you cry how can you get it? Those who have cried have received the mercy.

gurudev!

kṛpā-bindu diyā, koro’ ei dāse,

tṛṇāpekhā ati hīna

sakala sahane, bala diyā koro’,

nija-māne spṛhā-hīna

sakale sammāna korite śakati,

deho’ nātha! jathājatha

tabe to’ gāibo, hari-nāma-sukhe,

aparādha ha ‘be hata

kabe heno kṛpā, labhiyā e jana,

kṛtārtha hoibe, nātha!

śakti-buddhi-hīna, āmi ati dīna,

koro’ more ātma-sātha

jogyatā-vicāre, kichu nāhi pāi,

tomāra karuṇā-sāra

karuṇā nā hoile, kāndiyā kāndiyā,

prāṇa nā rākhibo āra

Gurudeva! By a drop of your mercy, make this servant of yours more humble than a blade of grass. Give me strength to bear all trials and troubles, and free me from all desires for personal honor.
    O lord and master! Invest me with the power to properly honor all living beings. Only then will I sing the holy name in great ecstasy and will all my offenses cease.

O lord and master! When will this person be blessed by obtaining your mercy? I am low, fallen, and devoid of all strength and intelligence. Please make me your beloved servant.

When I examine myself, I find nothing of good value. Your mercy is therefore essential to me. If you are not merciful, I will constantly weep, and I will not maintain my life any longer.
    [Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur, Saranagati]

This is our prayer. This weeping or crying is required. Unless the child cries the mother will not run and the child cannot get the mother’s breast. Similarly, unless you cry, how can you get the darsana of Sri Guru? When the child cries, the mother runs to him. Similarly, although the guru may be in some other part of the world, when the disciple cries the guru runs there. Sri Guru is karuna-maya, he is causelessly merciful. Thus whether he is manifest or unmanifest he gives darsana to his disciple. He may also come in a dream to give his darsana.

This guru-tattva is nitya-tattva— an eternal transcendental tattva. It is eternally prakata, manifest. It is not aprakata, unmanifest. There is no question of guru-tattva becoming unmanifest. This sri-guru-carana is inconceivable. It cannot be understood through one’s material knowledge, intelligence, or merit.

2. Goloka Vrndavana Dasa May 10, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Srila Gurudeva is eternally manifest Sri Guru

“The lotus feet of Sri Guru are the abode of pure bhakti, kevala-bhakti sadma. I offer my prayers and respectful obeisances there with utmost care, savadhana mate. I shall never become careless. One should understand what is the meaning of sri-guru-carana-padam.

These words “Sri Guru” are very significant. What is the meaning of Sri? Sri means shoba, sampada, srestha, Sri means beauty, it means transcendental wealth, and it also means the topmost. These are meanings of ‘Sri’.

Then what is the meaning of Sri Guru? Sri Guru refers to that Guru who is endowed with Sri, that is prema-bhakti. And this word ‘Sri’ is only applicable to a guru who is always manifested. It is not that the Guru is ever unmanifest. There is no question of His disappearance. He is eternally manifest and thus He is called Sri Guru. Therefore, this word ‘Sri’ is used, otherwise this word cannot be used.”

• Murali Krsna Swami May 10, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Sri Srimad Gour Govinda Swami Gurudeva, Ki jai

3. Raghava Pandit das May 10, 2012 at 8:40 am #

Lots of nectar in that little hut (1min20); Srila Gurudeva signing copies to the eager recipients …

Video has now been updated to run on iPad as well. ys Raghava

• Manjumedha dd May 10, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Thanks Raghava prabhu! This is absolutely beautiful, I love it!

How can I download it to put it on my iPad?
      Does it play on iPods as well?

Yls

• Raghava Pandit das May 10, 2012 at 9:50 am #

you don;t download it for iPad …. you see not ALL videos are compatible for iPad and iPhones etc, since they sometimes use Flash …… the format above is compatible for whatever device you choose to play it on……. so if your viewing this page from your iPad you should have no problem …..

no downloading required though … ys RPd

• murali Krsna Swami May 10, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Thank you so much my brothers for the nectar!

Brings back so many nice and wonderful pastimes and memories, as the one posted here. Much appreciated!

ys
      mks

4. sarasvati August 29, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

such a beautiful moment, and the way he is showing each page… gaura haribol

Dedicated to the Life and Teachings of Srila Gour Govinda Swami